Community Services Block Grant S.T.A.R.S. Program
S.T.A.R.S (Successfully Transitioning to Achieve Real Self-Sufficiency) offers a comprehensive approach to help strengthen the family’s initiative in identifying barriers and setting goals in order to attain Self-Sufficiency. It encourages them to forge relationships between the family and resources needed to eliminate their problems.
S.T.A.R.S consists of four components that address housing, educational, employment and budgeting needs. It seeks to promote the self-esteem and self-direction of the client. Intervention of this type can improve the relationships within the family and with the community. The S.T.A.R.S Program can be a valuable resource for the total family.
The S.T.A.R.S Counselor is a link between community resources and disadvantaged families. The counselor will work with the family towards:
- Identifying family strengths.
- Effective communication within the family.
- Helping the family create a family plan of action.
- Linking family needs to resources.
- Developing strategies to foster self-sufficiency.
- Provide information and referrals to clients as needed.
- Conduct workshops that are designed to promote self-esteem and independence.
The S.T.A.R.S Counselor works very closely with clients/families as they set short and long range goals designed to help them reach their goals.
The STARS Counselor also seeks to assist individuals seeking employment to:
The STARS Counselor also seeks to assist the individuals seeking to further their education by:
- Assess the clients’ job- readiness skills.
- Determine if additional education/job-skills training is needed to get the desired job.
- Assist in job search.
- Maintain open communication with ESC, JobLink, Workforce Development and employers who are seeking employees.
- Help client write an effective resume.
- Assist with supplies needed to secure or maintain a job.
- Become an Entrepreneur.
- Helping clients attain grants/scholarships designed to secure an educational degree/certificate.
- Assisting with tuition, books and supplies when needed.
The S.T.A.R.S Program of Johnston- Lee-Harnett Community Action, Inc is funded in part by the Community Services Block Grant through the State Office Of Economic Opportunity.
The Economic Opportunity Act of the Amendments of 1965 in Title II, section 205 provide that such component programs shall be focused upon the needs of low-income families and shall provide every possible source of help and assistance to every client.
The S.T.A.R.S. Program serves low-income people in Johnston, Lee and Harnett Counties with enthusiasm and determination working to eliminate poverty and poverty conditions.